Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Homemade Plum Jelly

A friend of mine brought me a bag of plums from her back yard along with 10 lbs of sugar. I've never seen any plums like this before. I think she said they are called small pickling plums?? I wanted to see if I could make something out of them and decided on jelly. I just don't like to let anything go to waste.



So here goes...

Layed out all my supplies - Jars, plums, sugar, lemon juice, fruit pectin and my large pot.


Washed, pitted, chopped and cooked them - strained - added sugar - cooked some more - added pectin - cooked some more - let sit awhile - skimmed off foam and then poured in hot sterilized jars - processed in boiling water 5 minutes. Done!!

Here is the finished product. That big bowl full made (12) half pints!


Don't they look so pretty? It taste pretty good too! I think it taste a little like apricot jelly, maybe? I've tried it on toast & on chicken and it's Yum! Yum!


She just sent me a few more! I think I'm going to make plum butter!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to learn how to make jelly. I bet the plum jelly turned out delicious!

Shelly said...

I loved it, mom! It tastes yummy on my biscuits, too! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns